We have assembled this list of highlights of local attractions and amenities to help you plan to get the most out of your vacation in Sodus Point.
BOAT & KAYAK LAUNCH – For boats, 1+\- mile away is a free public launch located on Route 14 at Margaretta Rd with parking. Much closer -- at the County Park at end of Wickham Blvd -- is a public launch available for free in the off-season only. For Kayaks, there are numerous places to put in including the beach (go to end of any numbered streets), the small bayside beach in the County Park (end of Wickham Blvd), off Willow Park (straight back behind Hots Point) and there is a great new public launch on Ontario St in the Village Canoe and Kayak Public Launch
BOAT RENTALS -- There are several marinas in the area where you can rent boats and these 2 are the closest to the vacation homes. If you're looking to rent a kayak, however, scroll further down the page to "Kayak Rental".
BOAT SLIP RENTALS --Multiple places on the bay offer short-term slip rentals though the most convenient locations in relation to our vacation homes are listed below
- Private Marina -- There is a small marina next to the softball diamond (corner of Bay St Ext & Greig St) that rents slips by the day, weekend or week for boats up to 24’. This marina has no office . . . just a small sign with the phone number 585-703-4097. TEMPORARILY NOT OFFERING SLIP RENTALS (Check back later) The owner/manager lives on the Point and will meet you.
- Krenzer Marine -- www.krenzermarine.com also rents slips and can handle larger boats too.
- Katlynn Marine -- www.katlynnmarine.com.
- Leone Landing -- Located next to the softball diamond www.facebook.com/Leone-Landing-108046824238451/
BURNAPS FARM -- This is a family farm just down Lake Road from us heading west. Check out their website for information on picking apples, cherries, etc. Maybe check out the small petting zoo, or shop some of their interesting crafts and baked goods, or take in lunch at their café overlooking the playground www.burnapsfarm.com.
CASINO -- About 35 minutes south you’ll find the beautiful new del Lago Casino https://dellagoresort.com/gaming with gaming, shows and restaurants. For a family day out where some members might not want to go to the casino, you can split up and others can check out the shopping at the nearby Waterloo Premium Outlets Mall https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/waterloo while the rest of your group gambles at the casino . . .
CONCERTS ON THE LAWN OVERLOOKING THE LAKE – During summer months there are free concerts on the lawn at the historic lighthouse overlooking the lake at 7606 North Ontario St at the Point. Most of the concerts are on Sunday afternoons though check the schedule https://www.sodusbaylighthouse.org/pages/concerts as some may vary (such as the July 4th event). This is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with friends and family. Bring your lawn chairs, cooler, snacks, drinks, etc and enjoy the music and incredible view. If you brought your boat, anchor just offshore to enjoy the sounds as well.
CURRENT EVENTS -- Visit our Facebook page as we often post current local events.
FIREWOOD -- If you want to have bonfires on the beach (or at Bayside Getaway or Bay View at the Point where we have outdoor fire pits), or in the indoor fireplace at the Beach House, please note that NYS law prohibits transporting firewood more than 50 miles due to invasive insects. Therefore, once you get within 50 miles, start looking for road-site firewood sales. There is a homeowner that sells wood from their front yard 3 miles south of Sodus Point at 6477 State Route 14, North Rose. The convenience store in the Point sells small bundles as well. Please observe all rules posted in the vacation homes regarding fires.
FIREWORKS -- Our July 4th fireworks sponsored by the Village are actually launched July 3rd each year. They're launched from the pier so they can be viewed from almost anywhere at the Point, on the beach, bay, lake, the waterfront restaurants, etc.
FISHING -- The area is known for it's fishing year-round. From a boat, off the pier, fly-fishing in a stream, through a hole in the ice on the bay, or virtually anyway you can imagine to throw a line in the water, you'll see why people come from all over to our little community to fish. Here are a few websites that routinely provide information on the local fishing opportunities.
- Fishing Updates - Check conditions and learn more about tournaments at www.fishsodusbay.com and also https://www.waynecountytourism.com/fishing-update where you can find updates on the ice for winter ice-fishing among other information
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation -- https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/88424.html
- Wayne County Tourism -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/featured-articles/fishing-update
- Where to get a fishing license -- At the Pit Stop convenience store in the Village or go to http://www.waynecountytourism.com/fishing-licenses for other locations.
GOLF – There are are numerous golf courses in the region, many of which can be found with a simple Google search, though we highly recommend playing Sodus Bay Heights Golf Club which is only 2 miles away overlooking the bay. The club also has The Heights Restaurant and bar open to the public. Call ahead as there are some restrictions for non-members.
GROCERIES – You might want to think about groceries before arriving as there are no large grocery stores in the Village of Sodus Point. Although the convenience store in the Village is great for the 1 or 2 things you forget, for larger shopping we suggest using one of the following:
- Paton’s Super Duper https://patonsmarketplace.com/ in the Town of Sodus (7 miles south-west of Sodus Point) at 109 W Main St, Sodus, NY 14551. It’s a small grocery store but surprisingly well-stocked and reasonably priced for a small-town store. There is also a drug store, Subway, hardware store and a few other conveniences along Main Street there as well.
- Sodus Farmers' Market -- The Sodus Farmers' Market opens in the Town of Sodus Wednesdays during summer months. Check the link for location, dates and hours.
- Tops Friendly Market https://www.topsmarkets.com/StoreLocator/Store?L=413&M=&From=&S= in the town of Ontario (17 miles west of Sodus Pt) at 6272 Furnace Road, Ontario, NY 14519. This is a large full-service grocery with somewhat better pricing. It sits within a plaza with other stores and restaurants too. If you’re coming from the West through Rochester area this will be right on your way.
HIKING -- See Parks & Hiking below.
HISTORY -- If you're into history you might enjoy learning more about our community's history at http://historicsoduspoint.com/ in addition to visiting the Lighthouse museum below.
Fair Haven Kayak -- Order kayak rental delivery right to your cottage or anywhere else you’d like to explore. They offer rates by the day, 3-day or weekly and have singles and tandem kayaks. View their Facebook page at Fair Haven Kayak or call/email (315) 466-6649 or .
Pier 53 -- On the other side of the Bay you can rent kayaks at Pier 53 http://www.pierfiftythree.com/kayak-rental.html. This is a great bar/restaurant on the waterfront that also rents kayaks. It is a wonderful location to have dinner or cocktails after kayaking and stay to watch the sunset. It’s also near Chimney Bluffs, Thorpe Winery and some other fun places to make a good day out and around the bay.
LIGHTHOUSE - The Sodus Bay historic lighthouse is just a short walk away from each of our cottages. Check their website for more information at www.sodusbaylighthouse.org
MARINAS – More info coming soon though in the interim some of the marinas can be found under Boat Rentals and Boat Slip Rentals above as well under the tourism link below.
PARKS & HIKING
- Beechwood State Park -- This is an interesting park, one that is an old girls scout camp. Wander through 300+ acres and come upon the old tents, mess hall, swimming pool filled with trees, and beautiful overlook of Lake Ontario. http://www.ilovethefingerlakes.com/recreation/stateparks-beechwood.htm
- Chimney Bluffs State Park -- If you're new to the area, this is a "must-hike" park. Be sure to use caution and obey all the posted signs. https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/
- Cornwall Preserve in Pultneyville -- This is a fantastic spot to hike and walk along the lake just a short drive west from the Point. https://www.geneseelandtrust.org/public-spaces/2018/6/4/cornwall-preserve
- Macyville Woods Nature Preserve -- This one is right within the Village of Sodus Point. It's a fairly short and family-friendly hike. We suggest parking in the designated parking area and hiking or snow shoeing over to the Franklin House (see under restaurants below), and after dinner or drinks there, walk off those caleries back through the trails to your car. For parking, hiking map, etc. check https://www.geneseelandtrust.org/public-spaces/macyville-woods
PLAYGROUNDS -- There are 2 great playgrounds in the Village with one located in the County Park at the Pier (1st St) and the other behind the Tourism Booth at Willow Park across from the convenience store/gas station.
RESTAURANTS/BARS/ICE CREAM STANDS – Although there are more in the region to be sure, we have only attempted to list those that are right in the Village within a short walk or quick drive from the cottages. Be sure to check hours as some of these close during the off-season or operate with shorter hours.
Leisurely walk from the cottages:
- Abe's Mai Tai Tiki Bar -- New for 2021 Abe's Mai Tai Tiki Bar is a bay front restaurant and bar.
- The Bay Street -- White linen dining and huge array of specialty cocktails https://www.facebook.com/Martinilandfinedining/
- Back Alley Grill -- This is a food truck permanently parked next to The Bay Street above https://www.facebook.com/tankerboy1/
- Captain Jack's Goodtime Tavern -- Waterfront casual dining and drinks www.captainjacksgoodtimetavern.com
- Hots Point -- Ice cream and quick food www.hotspoint.com
- Six60 -- Brick oven cooking with waterfront setting https://www.six-50.com/soduspoint
- Snack Shop (near the pier) -- In summer season there is a small snack shop right at the beach near the fishing pier where you can get ice cream, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.
Short drive from the cottages:
- Franklin House Tavern -- https://www.facebook.com/jessetreeboyfht/
- The Heights -- Located in the clubhouse at Sodus Bay Heights Golf Course and open to the public https://www.sodusbayheights.com/dining
- Steger Haus Restaurant -- https://www.facebook.com/StegerHausRestaurant/
A bit longer drive around the bay:
- Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing – This is a great little pub at the south end of the bay with a wonderful view with both indoor and outdoor seating. It’s literally on your way to anything on the east side of the bay so it makes a nice stop along the way. When visiting their website www.lunkenheimercraftbrewing.com be sure to look for the North Rose address at the bottom of the page or you’ll mistakenly head to their main facility in Weedsport.
- Pier 53 – Located on the east side of the bay this open-air bar and restaurant is well worth the drive. Check out their website here, and it’s very kid friendly with outdoor games, kayak rentals, etc. www.pierfiftythree.com
- Colloca Estate Winery – This one is a bit further east on the edge of Little Sodus Bay (not to be confused with our own Sodus Bay) in Fair Haven. It seems to get bigger every year with a beautiful tasting center, indoor and outdoor dining, party hall, entertainment, and events. It’s well-worth the drive. Check it out first at www.collocawines.com
SHOPPING -- About 35-40 minutes south is the Waterloo Premium Outlets Mall https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/waterloo and for a combined day out, consider also checking out the nearby beautiful new del Lago Casino https://dellagoresort.com/gaming with gaming, shows and restaurants.
SKATE BOARD PARK -- There is a public skate board park with many ramps adjacent to the playground in Willow Park (behind the tourism booth).
SNOW MOBILE INFO -- http://www.waynecountytourism.com/snowmobile-information
SOFTBALL DIAMOND -- Vacationing with a large group? Plan for a softball game or maybe kickball at the Village field located on Bay St Extension.
TOURISM INFORMATION SITES
- Village Information Booth – In the summer season you’ll find an adorable little tourism booth located in the park at the corner of Bay Street and Bay Street Ext (opposite the Pit Stop convenience store). The booth is manned by volunteers that can speak to many of the activities in the area.
- Online Information – The local tourism bureau has a great website www.waynecountytourism.com/
WINERY TRAIL -- For local wineries, cideries and distilleries be sure to visit the Lake Ontario Wine Trail at https://www.lakeontariowinetrail.com/